Tour Greensboro's historic homes, beautiful churches, museums and places of interest. Saturday 9:00 am - 5:00pm + Sunday 1:00 pm - 5:00 pm
One day ticket $25
Two day ticket $40
Meaning "many flowers," Multi Flora was built in the late 1850s in the classic Greek Revival architecture. It features detailed cornices, four square columns with recesses on all sides, high ceilings and a curved stairway with a walnut railing and spindles.
Built in 1880, this house symbolized the new growth in Greensboro's the post-Civil War history. The front porch was enlarged adding twelve Ionic columns, as well as a porte-cochere. Formerly occupied by the prominent L. J. Lawson and Turpin Vise families, the home has seen a transformation with new ownership.
One of Greensboro's most notable mid-20th century homes, the Avery-McCrary house honors the neoclassical style. After a disastrous fire, the McCrary's carried the commitment well beyond a meticulous restoration.
Robert Shackleford built a small, single-story home that contained only two main rooms with a hallway before 1840. This property was purchased by J. W. McCrary circa 1855, who remodeled, enlarging the house into the present Greek Revival structure by adding a second story. His nephew (Lee Otts) added the four fluted portico columns.
Built in the late 1840s, this house was named for the camellia japonica long before it became the Alabama state flower. Painstakingly restored to its former glory, it now operates as a full-service wedding and event venue.
Also referred to as Seven Pines, was built ca. 1848 by Col J. G. Harvey, long-time editor of the Alabama Beacon. This house has a simple design, with a gable-roofed front porch and four square, Doric-detailed columns.
Built ca.1885, this home is an example of a two- story, Eastlake Victorian dwelling. When visiting, note the stained glass of the bay window and the decorative woodwork on the porch. Additionally, visitors on the tour will find a little Christmas in June! The current owner so loves the spirit of the holidays that she proudly displays her Christmas tree year round in her front dining room for family and guests to enjoy.
Squire Lowry constructed the core of this home ca. 1840 which has undergone several additions over the years, nearly tripling its original size. The house is a perfect backdrop for the owner’s extensive collection of folk arts and crafts.
This home was built ca. 1880 and features neoclassical details. The house features three french doors leading from the music room, living room and dining room onto the wraparound front porch. The music room (left front parlor) houses a 1900 Starr upright grand piano, a 1900 Estey pump organ and a Kilgen Petite Ensemble pipe organ that was in the Greensboro Baptist Church from 1924-1990. The 219 pipes are encased in a beautiful oak cabinet.
This house was built ca. 1898 by Greensboro’s most prolific builder of the 1890s and early 1900s, John Straiton. It is one of the most imposing Queen Anne style dwellings in the county. The three-story corner tower with an onion-shaped dome dominates the 2 1/2 story house.
This is a charming one-story Victorian cottage with Eastlake details that's located on Greensboro's Main Street. This house was built around 1890. Features of the house include articulated gable bays, a partial width porch with a turrett, a single leaf entrance and decorative spindle and scroll work.
This parish, established in 1830, is the third oldest in the Alabama diocese. This church was erected in 1840 . It was here that Nicholas H. Cobbs was chosen as the first Bishop of Alabama in 1844.
Many of the bricks for this 1859 church were from the earlier 1841 church. The beautiful stained-glass windows were additions between 1890 and 1910. The steeple resides on the third story of the castellated bell tower.
In 1823, a Methodist Society was organized by Dr. Ralph Griffin Christopher. Formerly on this site were an open gambling house and the town blacksmith. This property was purchased in 1839 for $1000, and the first church was completed April, 1840. The current church was built in 1907 and includes many of the original 1840 stained glass windows made in Italy.
Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr. sought refuge from the Ku Klux Klan inside a small, shotgun-style home in the depot neighborhood of Greensboro, AL just two weeks prior to his assassination in Memphis, TN. This small shotgun house, now the Safe House Black History Museum, documents the struggle for racial equality. It contains relics of the period from slavery through the civil rights movement including photos of the Greensboro marches, of Bloody Sunday in Selma, and of the triumphant march from Selma to Montgomery.
Magnolia Grove, an excellent example of temple-style Greek Revival architecture, was built around 1840 as a town house by Isaac and Sarah Croom. In 1879, the house was purchased by Sallie Pearson Hobson, a niece of Mrs. Croom. The Hobson family deeded Magnolia Grove to the state of Alabama to serve as a memorial to Richmond Pearson Hobson, a naval hero during the Spanish-American War.
The Greensboro Opera House was built in 1903 on the site of an earlier opera house. Constructed as a two story building with a mezzanine, retail stores were on the ground floor with the theater and offices on the second. It gradually declined as a performing arts center and, suffering the effects of the depression, closed permanently on the eve of World War II. For more than half a century the theater sat deserted until 2003, when a non profit purchased the Opera House and began returning it to a multi-purpose cultural center.
One of Greensboro’s exciting new redevelopment projects is being led by Project Horseshoe Farm at the old Greensboro Hotel. The "Flemish bond" brickwork indicates a construction date possibly as early as 1830. This mid-19th century structure was originally two stories with wrap-around balconies. A third story was added circa 1890.
This building dates back to the 1870s and served in the late 1800s as a law office for former Alabama governor, Thomas Seay. The central portion of the building retains the original layout of the offices, original doors, and “wavy” glass windows. Additions to the building maintain the original style
The Noel-Ramsey home (also referred to as the Old French House) is reputedly the oldest home in Greensboro. Constructed between 1819-21 by Thomas and Anne Hurtel Noel, it is the only surviving residence built by French settlers that came to west Alabama to establish a Vine and Olive Colony.
This part of town once served as the commercial and transportation hub of Greensboro to service the railroad spur built around 1860. After sitting empty for decades, this grand ca. 1870 warehouse is now open as an antique and architectural salvage store.
Greensboro has an abundance of ante-bellum and Victorian private homes to enjoy as you drive-by on your way to the next tour stop. Details will be included with your ticket.
Copyright © 2023 Greensboro Alabama Area Business and Tourism Association - All Rights Reserved.